My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Gendered everything!!!

Just simply reading a newspaper makes you realize how when one wants to refer to a person in some article..the masculine (sp!) form is used. It's like this: Student A realizes that the cost of food at the cafeteria has increased, now this student must earn 56% more money from his work to account for his huge apetite.

Now..let me write that again using her: okay..and I'll also make the apetite small so it sounds more girly (no discrimination or anything...but I eat less than boys..that's all!).

Student A realizes that the cost of the food at the cafateria has decreased, now this student must earn 56% less money from her work to account for her small apetite.


Okay....mmm..the second one may not sound believable still, but I hope you all get my point. But but but...just sit there and read a newspaper or magazine and realize how many times they'll use HIS, HIM, HE..and never Her, She....why? Why why? We may claim we're moving forward..but there is still so much left to do!!!!!! It's odd though..I guess you really gotta sit down and realize all these him, his, he's..otherwise we just read over them..why? We were raised that way...society makes us that way...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home