My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Friday, February 04, 2005

Must One Drive and Talk??

I notice it everyday on my walk back home..or even when I'm in my car driving. Yah soooo I figured it's about time I wrote about it. What is it that our lives have become so preoccupied that we can't even walk without talking to someone on a cell phone? Is it because we are all freakos who can't stand just silently walking or what? Anyways, that's not totally the point of this post. This post pertains to why people must get into ackward positions so that they can drive and talk? Err..or try to drive with one hand..or even one finger while on the phone? why?? I have heard enough stories of accidents due to driving and talking on the phone..Some people are good multitaskers, hell I praise them for it..and wish I could be just so good as them.. But daaamn,when there are OTHER lives out there, and not just your OWN, I think people need to think sense and put the damn phone down. If they can't put the phone down, and are good at multitasking, then they should buy a handsfree set...

On my drive to my friend's house today. She called. I let the phone ring. Honestly, I"m not compfortable enough picking up the phone when I drive..but it's also because I don't want to make some stupid stupid stupid stupid mistake, causing someone's life...If that happened..I donno how I"d ever move on.. :( And I hope to God that it never ever happens!

I just remember quite a few years ago...there weren't cell phones, and everyone did fine...so why now? Why the need to be on the phone 24/7 ??? I even hate it when my friends call me when driving..I usually end the conversation fast...cause it might be that I'm safe sitting at home talking to them..but yet they aren't safe..and hell, they are endangering other peoples' lives too...

Mmmm.....again, if there are some good multitaskers out there...Go for it talk on the phone..but damn do one thing for sure..and get a handsfree thingy.. I know I'll never invest in one solely for my driving... And I'm not a bad driver either!!!!! :)

6 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Ali said...

To whom it may concern,

I frankly disagree with your point. I, and a larger part of our global community of humans, have an innate ability to multitask. Multitasking for us is something that we do seemlessly; without much worry about things going bad since multitasking in itself qualifies us doing everything to the best of our ability.

Although I'm not a talented multitasker, I can recall what I have done while driving. For example, a few Noor-e-Saal ago, I was driving in my stylish 1972 Jeep with wind blowing ever so slowly through my hair - it felt so dreamlike. While driving, I was honored to be talking to a collegue of mine in Khaalit Nunnaat who is doing research on Eskimo alcoholism. Alongside that, I set aside on one and one leg to paint my toe nails - this is something that is a must in my family. The other foot, of course, I spared for driving. But the toe from the other foot was reserved for holding a fly down to the peddle - lest I kill it when I finally reach a stop. To finish it off, I had one last arm which I was using to eat a delicate and quite wholesome "Monster Burger" which comes from Hardeez. All the while, I was using my knees for driving.

Quite a task to do so much multitasking - that almost rhymes. I thought I was done multitasking, but it even got better. I managed to suffer a consistent - yet constant - heart attack; now that is truly multitasking.

So dearest madame, please refrain from overstepping the boundaries of your knowledge. When you assume, you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me.' Remember that. Thank you.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Anostica said...

My my...you have got all the time in the world don't you?

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Ali said...

Why yes dearie Anostica, I do have all the time in the world. I'm not short of time, as many say yet never qualify, so I make the most of my time. So there! Bah!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Tony Allen said...

Yeah, like anything it can be unsafe to concentrate on something else while driving. People have gotten into accidents while talking on the phone, and people have gotten into accidents while changing the radio station. moral of the story, concentrate on driving and take everything else as secondary if you do multitask (which I personally do). Now if people start watching tv while driving, that would be dangerous!

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering that you are against people who use cell phones while driving, can you honestly tell me that if you are on your way to a new destination that you would not make a phone call while driving to get directions to your destination? If you were in rush hour traffic and needed to know if it is the first or the fifth exit, would you pull off to the shoulder to confirm? I didn't think so. Besides, it isn't wrong to sing in your car, so why are you so against talking?

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Anostica said...

Sing in your car is different from Talking on the cell phone--you don't need to have your hands off the wheel while singing..unless you groove with it ;). And honestly if my car was STOPPED in a traffic jam, then yah I'd talk on the phone. Otherwise, believe it or not, I'd pull over before I would talk for the heck of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home