My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My alternate career paths..

Yes you heard right...my alternate career paths I never followed. It isn't that I always wanted to be a geeky scientist working in a lab. It just turned out that way. I guess I knew it during my soph year in college, as I was working/researching on mice for my undergrad honors thesis. It became a habit. Hence the masters which followed soon after, as I was intrigued by bacteria..and hence now my current degree with viruses still following mysterious creatures in this world we think we know so well..

So..anyways. When I entered college..well a semester before it..I had taken a summer class in sociology. I was soo into sociology, I wanted to major in it. As a high schooler I was stuck on psychology, as I always understood people well and I gave good advice (people would tell me that). Taking psychology in college got me, and I was totally into majoring to become a sociologist or a psychologist...but I had set it in me that I'd be a social psychologist as I believed sociology more.

Then...there was always the idea of becoming an architect. I loved math..and was addicted to geometry, trigonometry, precalc--grr I miss it :( . My dad tried to get me into engineering..but I walked away from it. I still regret this one..as maaaan...I didn't give it a shot.

I had once even though of being a doctor as a freshmen, but knew that I couldn't stand puss or anything related to the ear, so that was out of the question.

How I got into biology...and stayed on into the lab area intrigues me..as I used to hate labs..couldn't stand them. I think it was lack of confidence and not knowing what to do..but I like kicking myself, and forcing myself to face my fears. I enjoy challenges..and it was a bunch of teeth grinding and bitching inside me, but I knew over time I'd enjoy it. Guess now I sit here at Purdue working..and must admit I do enjoy what I do.

1 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you do give great advice :)

architecture is fun, I just wish I was good at math and would be able to do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home