My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Saturday, October 22, 2005

U of I is outta my mind for good!

I am starting to detest University of Iowa. As most may know or may not know..that was my other choice for schools when I got into my current degree program. That damn school was giving me more money, but it was IOWA after all..so I had to decline..OH it was a great school!

Anyways, was at Honda getting my car's oil changed this morning. Sitting in the middle of all these car mechanic dudies, as they watched ESPN. They had something about how University of Iowa has a locker room for the visiting team, and how it's been painted pink. It started 20 years ago, and was painted pink..but over the years, the pink has taken over the whole locker room, down to the urinals, toilets, bathroom doors. At first I thought it was cute..what a great idea. But then they started talking about it..and it got me wondering. The whole idea behind a "pink" lockerroom is to make the men look like sissies, which may not show it directly but gives the point that women are inferior. They talked about how U of I has been winning over the years after the locker room change. And how the coach who was a psychology prof (or something of the sort) thought of it...because he knew he could get at the minds of these men.

I guess, I'm not gonna get too much into it. But, having it be pink...wow cute and so relaxing. But to have people complain about it, and show that the main intention of having the pink was to make the men feel less than they are by being in a pink (standardly considered woman color) lockerroom evidently points at woman as inferior..Something totally not in my book of great things.

But again who defines color to be masculine or feminine? Why pink for girls and blue for boys? Why must we be raised in a society believing that color means gender? Why segregate?? Why think that pink is soft and gentle, and blue is strong and sturdy? why why why???

I'm not pissed at the pink locker room..because if you've read my post so far, you'd realize I'm being hypocritical. But what I'm pissed at is the intention behind the pink locker room. It was evidently put up for other reasons that just to have a nice pinky room....

Hopefully I made my point..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home