My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Friday, March 19, 2004

"I hate science for the sake of science itself"
 
The topic of this is a quote I heard a few weeks ago, from a graduate student. It's interesting, but it made me agree with the quote. I mean, I don't hate science as a subject, because it's fun and interesting, but I hate it on another aspect. That aspect deals with the application of science. I guess I am sick of hearing people say, OH I did this and found a 0.01% level of this protein being excreted, and oh yes, it's so nice to see that a rat aorta secretes it. Well thank you for that boring talk, but heck if one wants to talk like an idiot and impress others of what they are doing, they not only have to tell what the protein IS, but also as to how it is APPLICABLE to our normal day life. I mean, isn't the main point of science to discover things, so that you can fix things up?? Or at least know how they work to combat a problem? So what good does it do knowing that some protein is involved in the rat aorta..but yet you have no clue how this research is applicable??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home