My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

High-School Drop-out

yah something which was unheard of to me even when I was in high school back in my hometown. The ONLY time I ever heard of such a thing was when I was about 15-16 years old, and two guys I remember in my class Luke and James both dropped out. That was it. The rest of us graduated.

So..I'm watching Oprah today. And she talks about the states in the nation with the best graduation rate..with my hometown state having the hightest rate in the nation of 84%. And what's one state in the nation with a not so good rate that she brought up..yep Indiana. She sent one of her correspondents to Shelbyville a city here close to Indianapolis. Interesting how they are interviewing kids from the high schools as to why people drop out..and the kids say "well you can always get a factory job". Shocks me though..as when I grew up, I don't ever remember anyone talking about factory jobs....

Makes me wonder if I came from a town which didn't have low income families..maybe I was naive...or maybe my homestate just has a higher standard of education...

I think it's completely unfair that some kids are not getting the same education as their classmates from another city in the same frikkin state!!!! :( (prime example Oprah brought up was btwn two schools close to chicago...one inner city school, and another one close by)..

2 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger wiseguy563 said...

Kids drop out at that age because they do not care about school... the average teenager is not worried about what happens later.

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone in my family got a factory job in indiana after h.s. and he is making around 40k...awesome for that age which is better than what I can get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home