My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Monday, August 29, 2005

The best place to meet people are when you are stuck sitting next to them...

So I've written before on here about how I end up having to talk to people sitting next to me on the plane. In general I just wanna mind my own business, hoping to get the window seat so that I can just look out the window. And when the clouds cover my view, I'm off reading something I have brought with me to read. But in the many times I've flown in the last one year now, I've met a fellow Purdue student who was a mechanical engineer from Seattle. An older and bigger squish me against the window type man who was a mechanic and we talked about how Civics (my car) were great cars. Today I met two people. On my flight from Minneapolis I met some girl who was on her way to the Carribean. She was from Minnesota but flying there..found out that she attends Medical school there. I always wondered who went there..but then I met her. She was pretty cool. We talked quite a bit..so the flight felt short. I never wanted to talk, as I can't strike a conversation, but she introduced herself to me, when she saw I was reading stuff on Electromagnetic waves..and she was off reading something on Gross Anatomy. So she figured we had similar interests..only I liked the classes she didn't really enjoy too much.

Then...on my flight from Chicago to Indianapolis. I came down the aisle to have to sit next to some guy..I'm guessing maybe 25ish or older. He at first I thought was very outspoken, but it turned out that he was the type who was a bit, well I'd never say mentally retarded cuz he wasnt--at least not to me..but he was more of an open younger less mature say whatever you feel type. But by the looks of it, he did have some disability, but he was sweet enough that it didn't piss me off. I could tell he had been trained to live on his own, and was doing a great job of not bugging people. He had a ton of questions to ask me, and honestly I didnt' mind it. I felt like I was talking to a five year old. He kept telling me to turn my cell phone off and stow it away. He kept asking me about why they had a camera on the plane's wing..when I told him it was a light. He wanted to know what the beacons at the airport were for? If I was scared to fly..He was wearing a Hard Rock Cafe shirt, and asked me about 5 times if I had gone there..I said no. He then would realize that I would look out the window, and he was like, I know it's none of my business and I'm not trying to be nosy but am I bugging you? I kept telling him no....then he'd ask others around him if they had gone to Hard Rock Cafe..and dammit asshole passengers! They all ignored him as if he didn't exist!!! Pissed me off...And when I'd talk to him people would look at me..screw them I felt like flicking them off. The kid was funny, I think his name was Jonah or Jonathan. He was from Indianapolis. He said he had a guardian. He said someone had murdered his mother and she was deceased since last year. He said his brother could care less about him cuz his brother was too busy paying for child support. He said he had never met his father and his father never cared about him :( I was scrolling through my webcam, and he saw a pic of my brother, and asked if that was my boyfriend. I told him it wasn't but a brother. He went on saying I don't mean to be nosy, but would he mind that I talk to you. I swear..if anything, this guy was NOT by any means disabled. He was so mannered!! He kept saying,people tell me I ask too many questions..I hope they don't bug you. He said he loved meeting people..and was glad to have met me. He wanted me to visit him Indianapolis to see him, because he thought I was a good person. He kept saying I'm not trying to flirt with you or hit on you, but I just think you are a good person, and will you be my friend. I mean this man was a bit older, but his mentality was of a young child..so naive and innocent.

I just felt bad that he had to go through such bad living conditions :( Poor kid...what if he is the way he is because of it? Was he born that way? Whatever it is...I was glad to have met him..and I proudly spoke to him for the rest of the short short flight and spoke to him even as we got off...If someone left a mark on me today, he did. And if I have to choose someone who I enjoyed sitting next to on a plane..it was him. Granted he did invade my personal space a few times..but I never toook it against him..as he just wanted to look out the window too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home