My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

You know you're in the right place...
 
Been thinking lately, and realized a few things said to me at my Purdue and Carver college of Medicine Interviews--which totally told me I was in the right place.

First off--at Purdue. I was there and we were being greeted by the department chair. And he said, you know you are in the right place, or actually he said we all have something in common and I want you to either agree or disagree with me on this one. He said, "We all are the ones who at parties would rather sit in a corner or be on the outside than be the talkers in the center." Heh, interesting, never knew people could define how I felt, and never knew there were other dorks like me! haha.. Okay not dorks, but well get me talking about bacteria, and I can talk FOREVER! hehehe

Second--At Carver college of Medicine. We were asked what is our favorite thing, and the consensus from the class was "bacteria!"hahahaah! I even heard some say they love bacteria! I donno if anyone went as far as saying "I'd love to lick that bacteria--heh like me"..but there were quite a few geeky nerds stuck on bacteria like me at the Interview.

Another note..I was grading my students streak plates the other day. Okay for those of you who don't know, a streak plate is a way of isolating bacteria from the masses (basically). One of my students had Staphylococcus aureus as the organism she streak plated. I rather than grading her, wrote "beautiful" on her plate. Heh, she probably thought I was stupid because I remember her coming up to me and asking "what did I get on this assignment?" hahaha. If anyone has seen pure white yummy droplet looking colonies of S. aureus on blood agar, you'd know what I mean! The TA I work with thinks..I'm crazy! hahahah. Oh, while I'm at it...other bacteria which look beautiful include Micrococcus luteus with it's awesome colonies and beautiful yellow color. Klebsiella pneumoniae is just as gorgeous! Same goes for Serratia and Pseudomonas species!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home