My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Thursday, August 08, 2002

Magazines!!! Tue Jun 27 17:36:38 2000
Magazines can be good; like the ones that talk about health issues, or the ones that deal with the news. But yet, despite all these magazines, there are magazines that are about fashion, make-up, etc. Now the only type of magazines that I have ever read and can write about are teen magazines-since I used to read them when I was younger (I was messed up).
I find teen magazines to be very annoying. All teen magazines ever encourage is for people (young girls) to become one specific type of person--a dying skinny, make-up filled, no clothing women/young adult. The only good part about those magazines is when they give helpful advice about things girls face. Or else these magazines are only good when they talk about health issues.
But when these magazines talk about-whats in and whats not, how something should be worn, or how to wear make-up--that's when these magazines get annoying. All these suggestions ever do is form/make a Uniform style that each type of women/girl should follow. All throughout high school, I remember going to school and seeing how each year after summer vacation, each girl would come to school with that bob hairdo, or those capri pants, and that skinny "strip of cloth" called a tank top, etc. It was sometimes hard to distinguish one girl from the other-they all looked the same!! It was as if they weren't "unique" but instead were of a society made of a single uniform type of people!
My suggestion for these people is to follow/do what they believe, what they like, NOT what people in those magazines say is "in". The only way we can all be appreciated as "unique people" is when we start acting like those "unique people." And to be unique, one MUST follow what He/She believes to be "fashionable"!!
The only reason those magazines ever promote those capri pants or those Doc Martens is because those companies of those products are paying the magazine. And by having these people (us) buy those products, we actually are helping these magazines gain/win money! So in a way, when we pay to get a yearly subscription, these magazines probably get three times as much money back through US! Talk about being cheated! Why should anyone ever waste money when they don't gain anything??

Uniqueness comes with being yourself, and not copying whatever everyone else is doing. And that also involves not copying or listening to what magazines may tell you! sure if they give you advice on how to fix "dry hair" or something, then sure, go for their suggestion, but don't just copy the magazine page by page. I used to have a friend in high school, who'd copy every page of the magazine YM...each day she'd be wearing a different type of nail polish because it was 'said' to be 'in', or else she'd have her shirt flarred out because it was said to be 'in'! It annoyed the crap out of me!
Also, another reason why magazines are bad is because magazines cause girls and also men to actually hate themselves. Just because the reader of the magazine doesn't fit with the model in the magazine, we as the reader sometimes, start having bad feelings about ourselves, we lose our self esteem, which leads to depression and sometimes in extreme cases it can lead to suicide. It's almost as if, it's better NOT to read those magazines!!
As always most of my topics on this msg board have dealth with individuality..but that's just what I believe in! Also, I just wanted to note here, that I am NOT jealous of anything! Some readers who may be reading this msg of mine and may think that I'm somebody who cannot do that or this, cannot afford that, or look like that, and hence that's the reason for me writing this msg.But truthfully, it's not. I could do all the things in those magazines, but I simply choose not to, because I'd rather be a'unique' person in this society who sticks out for being 'myself' without having to follow stuff out of a magazine, and I'd rather not walk with the heard of humankind who follows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home