My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Do I have to say "That's okay"???!!?

Caught myself saying it too often these days and I wonder if I do it because I mean it, or because I feel bad. So I was in lab today, some girl comes up and hogs my lab bench when obviously I was working on it. Granted it was a vacant bench about 2 weeks ago; so when I get to my bench, she keeps working, but when I start digging for stuff here and there, she realizes ooops Anostica's bench, and moves away and says sorry. I at the same time was a bit frustrated but didn't feel like telling her to shove off...so when she said sorry, all that came outta my mouth was "that's okay"..really? Did I mean it?

Another instance..weeks ago. My brother and I were at Walmart wanting to use their kodak picture printers. Some stupid old lazy woman was manually scanning pics, and then resizing them. She had an ALBUM with her. My brother and I were both frustrated. Brother wanted to say something, but we both kept it cool. Towards the end when she finally got done an hour later (NO JOKE!), she said "Hey I'm done..sorry for the wait" and dumbo me, I said "that's okay"..no really? was it okay? I coulda just glared at her..but, but, but..it was tempting..I had no guts :(

Okay last story. I hate the smell of food in my apt...it disgusts the crap outta me. It smells good when you cook, but walking into an apt smelling of fish is not fun. And that's exactly what happened today. My roommate is a fish lover, and had cooked fish. Being me who would never cook any stinky foods...I walked into the apt and spelled the nasty ass make me puke smell. I had to say, hey that reaks. She was like...hey I'm sorry, but I had to cook, and heck what came outta my mouth..."that's okay". Maybe I meant it there..or did I?

I wonder if I just don't wanna look like a meanie so I say "that's okay" but don't really mean it. Maybe I do it as a space filler. I was thinking though I've seen some people successfully pull this one off...when you don't say "that's okay"..I think it gets the point across more. By saying "that's okay" you're saying...yah sure I guess it was alright...which I'm not really sure if I mean..or if I don't...

2 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah I agree that is an over used phase of sorts... I say that often too.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Ali said...

You have a very valid point there. While I do want to take it upon myself to yell at someone - I try to adhere to a passive lifestyle. In result, while I'm boiling from the inside - come the chance to express my feelings, I will say "that's ok." Although I know it's not ok, I will just say it.

My philosophy - bad karma. If someone wrongs me in this lifetime - it's not me who is responsible for judgement or punishment. I'll just allow a higher power to realize I've been treated unjustly and for that higher power to deal with the person appropriately. So that's how I live my passive lifestyle - I boil from the inside with a healthy assurance that a higher power is watching over me and will protect me as I live my life.

What do you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home