My Thoughts and Yours...

I write about things I notice around me on my not so talkative days. If any of you out there are interested, please read and respond!

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Sad News :(

I cannot name any names here, as I believe this person did not want anyone to know. But I remember knowing a graduate student back when I first was a freshmen in college. She was from India, and we never really spoke till 2 years later when my friends introduced me to her. She was an older student and was working on a masters. Two years later, when I started my masters degree, she was finishing up on a second masters. I had still kept in touch with her and would say hi to her from time to time. Except during this time, she was telling me that she was thinking of going home as she had not seen her family. My other friends told me that she had a terrible tootache as well and was getting second opinions on the toothache from others. She had decided to go home to get her tooth pulled..home being India. I never understood that, as I thought a ticket over to India would cost a lot more than just getting her tooth pulled here. So a year or so passed, and I spoke to a friend of mine about this grad student and they said, well she's probably still with her family and who knows what is going on--she was done with her education here, so what's the point of coming back. I never knew till today when I ran into a friend of mine, this friend told me that the Indian girl I knew (she was in her upper 30's), had died on May 14th. I felt like all the blood had gone outta my head and felt light headed. It was in complete disbelief, and I never knew it was coming! :(( It turns out that this graduate student had contacted doctors here when she had a tootache, and they had told her it wasn't only a tootache. She had cancer and that it had spread to her bones and most of her body. She hid the news from everyone except one person..and she went home. Now a year and a half later I find out she died. I never got to say bye to her. I never knew anything! She was an amazing girl...she will be missed.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home